Free Biscuit Theatre

Blog of Toronto-based Theatre Company, Free Biscuit Theatre

Monday, April 09, 2007

Rebecca and Adam

Hey, cats, I'm Rebecca, a member of Free Biscuit and sometime classmate of Thom's. He's been encouraging us all to post here, and I'm happy to, though I have little to say (this has never stopped me before, cf. http://rebecca-rosenblum.blogspot.com).

Since I have nothing further to say about myself, I'll tell you about the film I saw on Friday, Reign Over Me, instead. Anthony Lane said in The New Yorker that he would nominate this film as one that might me worth your time, which is faint praise but enough for me--I got off the cross-trainer after reading that, took a shower and went to the theatre. I was already predisposed to do so, I must admit, as I really enjoy Adam Sandler, whatever he does. Other than Mr. Lane, I've heard nothing but dismissals of this movie, often from people who hadn't seen it, based simply on the fact that those people do not enjoy Sandler. Fair enough--if you hate him, you'll hate this movie, despite the fact that he does a pretty stellar job. It's still an Adam-heavy flick.

Reign Over Me is, in my mind, a film about modern masculinity, a topic on which Sandler always has a lot to say, as does the director, Binder (first name escapes me). Back in 1990, my brother and I spent a Sunday afternoon with the brotherly bickering of Coupe de Ville and loved it. Fraternal banter between Sandler and Don Cheadle is what props up Reign as well--I can't say I gave a toss about any of the female characters and their assorted issues. But Sandler plays, as always, the weak and powerless (not synonyms) male on the verge of rage with total honesty (he did it in Punch Drunk Love too, a film that gave me a stress migraine, but in the best way possible). I don't know Don Cheadle's other work (I wussed out on Hotel Rwanda because I am...a wuss) but I thought he played another semi-castrated modern male here, and he was great, charming and tense (strangely reminded me of early Tom Hanks??)

Ok, it wasn't perfect, Sandler relies on catatonia in lieu of several emotions, the romantic plotlines make no sense and the ending is too cheery, but as a real moving non-sensational narrative about 911, I haven't seen anything better.

And because I love Adam Sandler, to me it was frickin' funny!

RR

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I love Anthony Lane and I love the line about the pudding in "Punch Drunk Love". Don Cheadle is a very fine actor, and I admire his commitment to serious themes, but he can be really funny so I wish we would take some lighter roles (NOT in the Oceans Nineteen movies). I'm worried he's going to get that permanent furrow between his eyebrows like DiCaprio.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

He, of course. Must reread before commenting.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home